2.4.18

Career Moves

The fall of 2016, the same semester I stopped teaching 7th graders, I started teaching an evening class at one of the local community colleges. It was one of those sort of things that is put out there and then it just happens. It was one of those sort of things that I will later think back on and feel like it was fate intervening. 

Since fall of 2016, every Monday and Wednesday, I rush off my day job campus like a bat out of hell to get to my college class. Some days, the days feel so long. I get so drowsy on my drive. I often stop to get tea in some variety to caffeinate me enough to deliver my evening performance. When class starts, I dig deep and pull out all the energy I can muster to teach. I always try to give my students my all. 

Lately, my evening gig has been my saving grace. Even though I know I'll be exhausted by the end of the night, I look forward to teaching. I look forward to seeing my students and talking to them about reading strategies or sharing interesting articles with them. 

All this is causing me to truly question whether or not I want to begin the graduate program I was accepted to. My graduate degree will be in educational management which will take me further away from students. I could be an assistant principal or work in an administration level job writing curriculum. And, I just don't know if this is the right move for me. So many people tell me I'd be so good at any of those jobs. But then, there's that feeling I get when I teach my students and build those relationships with them. I miss that so much. 

I want to get to a point in life where I don't have to work two jobs. But will moving up in the public school system be right? 

No comments: