19.12.10

Chasing Brooklyn


I just finished reading Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder, and I’m emotionally spent. It was such an incredibly sad story.  One of the most touching poems is the following:

#289

Dear Lucca,

I miss you.
I miss your beautiful blue eyes and the love I saw in
them for me.
I miss your hand that held mine.
I miss your arms around me.
I miss your lips on mine
I miss your laughter.
I miss the way you called me Brooker the Looker
I miss your voice and the sweet everythings you
whispered in my ear.
I miss the drawings you showed me before anyone else.
I miss our midnight conversations for no other reason
than to say, “I love you.”
I miss how I felt safe when I was with you.
I miss you, Lucca.
For my whole life, I will miss you.

Love always,
Brooklyn

Although the resolution seems to come too easily, this book is so powerful. It tells a tale of lost love, and yet, it offers so much hope.

Brooklyn and Nico are complex characters depicted through the simplistic language of Lisa Schroeder. It was hard to put this book down. I'm so glad one of my students recommended it for me.

No comments: