14.4.08

Marjane Satrapi

I was so anxious for last Saturday. Not only was I not working, I was also having a outing that entailed an author reading. I’d been looking forward to Marjane Satrapi’s reading for so long. Every time the Houston Inprint sent another e-mail advertising her reading, I’d get excited all over again.

That evening, my sis, her student, and I made our way to the Hobby Center. As they stood in line to buy books, I wandered around looking for the ticket counter only to find that I’d been right in front of it the whole time. When I got to the front of the line, I asked for two tickets. The woman replied, “We’re sold out.”

“You’re sold out?”

“Yes, but at 7:30 we will release all seats, do you want me to give you a number?”

I looked around a little disillusioned. How was it that I wasn’t going to get to see the author of one of my new favorite books? Finally, I said, “Yes, please.”

She gave me back half of an index card with #18 and Satrapi scribbled onto it. My claustrophobia kicked in so I had to make my way away from the crowds. I thought about going outside to see if there were any scalpers, but figured that it was highly unlikely. So I hung around inside and mingled with my sis’s student as my sis mingled with some of the people she knew in hopes of scoring some tickets. No such luck though.

At 7:30, we herded over to the ticket table again. It was only a matter of minutes before our number was called and we were able to get some tickets.

It was so worth it.

Satrapi is so awesome. She didn’t read from the book, but instead talked about why she chose cartoons to tell her story and how the book and movie came about. I haven’t seen the movie yet. I’m going to wait until it’s on video because I’d prefer to see it in its original language.

After the reading, there was the mandatory book signing. The line was incredibly long, but she moved us along pretty quickly. For the first time in a long time, I was so nervous and excited. She was so pleasant. I’ve ordered Embroideries off Amazon (of course B&N didn’t have it, why would they right?).

If you haven’t checked out her works, you definitely should.

2 comments:

cindylu said...

Oooh. My roommate has Persepolis. Maybe I can get it from her.

Anonymous said...

I wish all her books were not sold so that I could have bought of copy of each.