Read the entire quiz first, then follow the directions given. You have 10 minutes to complete this test. (Your teacher will be watching you and making notes of what you do, so read carefully!)
1. Write your name in the upper right hand corner
2. Put the date in the left hand corner
3. Write your age:
4. Write the name of the President of the U.S.
5. Write the name of the author of The Outsiders
6. Stand up and stretch.
7. Write your two favorite colors here: ____________ and _____________
8. Walk once around all the desks in the class.
9. Write the formula for a sentence*:
10. Put your left shoe on the desk and leave it there.
11. Get up and sharpen your pencil.
12. Fold this paper in half.
13. Add 237, 4986, and 866. Answer: __________________
14. After you do number 13, raise your hand for ten seconds.
15. Write the name of your favorite food: _______________
16. Sit down and stand up 10 times as fast as you can. Record how long it took you here: ________________
17. Print the name of the planet you live on ____________
18. Write down a compliment for the person to your right or left on the back of this paper.
19. Draw one red circle and two blue triangles on the bottom of this page.
20. Don’t follow these instructions. Instead, turn this paper face down and read your book quietly until time is called.
*The timer was sitting on top of the foldable we've been working on for sentence types. The formula for a sentence was to the left and I have them recite it weekly at least.
There have been half a dozen times that I type up a blog post, but never get around to actually posting it. Some of them are saved and some have been lost.
Life has been going on, you know?
Work is good. Although I’m not leaving as early as I intended and sometimes it gets really crazy busy, it’s not so bad. I like my kids. The same kids I kept hearing were so horrible I’d want to flee the building screaming and pulling out my hair. Perhaps because of this reputation, I’d convinced myself that I was going to be a hard ass at first, and I guess I have been. I haven’t had many issues aside from the incessant gum referrals. I keep knocking on wood hoping that it’ll stay good all year long. We are just sliding down the October slope though. I’m determined not to spend the entire year in the dip though.
I suppose I should mention that I have a student teacher. She’ll only be with me for a couple weeks more and then off to the other end of the building. I had no idea it’d be so cool. I know a lot of it has to do with her being super awesome and me not being a demeaning witch, but it really does make the day go by swimmingly.
In the home front, I have two new pets. I actually just got them today. I named them Jeff and Kelley. I was told that those were stupid names, but the peeps that know me, know me know why I called them that. They’re happily floating in their plastic cylinder right now. I’m convinced to clear off my desk tonight, so I can sit in there and watch them as I force myself to work.
I’ve also gotten into the habit of podcasting the Rachel Maddow show and watching it before I go to bed. She cracks me up. In the mornings, I like to listen to Fresh Air. It makes the hair situation more bearable. I’ve been growing my hair out some, so now I must do more than rub in some gel and muss it up. Interestingly, my hair kind of resembles that of Rachel Maddow. I’m not sure how long I’m going to let it get, but it’s a nice change. I’d had the same hairstyle for ten years.
There’s not much else to really tell. I’ll probably disappear for another few weeks or months. The textbook committee meetings start up soon, and I’ll most likely be spending lots of free time on finding and defending the best book for our district. As big of a nerd as I am, I’m really excited about it.